Monday, March 24, 2014

Sunday

By Amy

I got there at 4:30. Alison was asleep in the dark. The stench of urine in her room was unbearable and stung my nose. I woke her up and said "have they changed you today?"  Immediately, a woman named Pam ran into the room, asking me who I was and talking really fast. She was fretfully telling me how Alison had been up all night and since she had been sleeping all day , they didn't want to disturb her by changing her because she gets agitated.  Pam was really nice but something did not seem right. She went on and on about the wonderful care Alison is getting, without even knowing who I am.  This outpouring of information was odd and seemed more like whitewashing what appears to be inadequate care.   Anyway, she assured me that Alison would be cleaned up from head to toe as soon as they could get to her.  Pam hugged me.  I was there for two hours as Alison lay in a urine soaked diaper and sheets and begged to be changed. I asked for her to be changed 2 more times. Finally when I asked again at 6:30, one of the ladies said she would do it herself.  They are clearly understaffed and uninspired to give basic care to Alison.  

Pam said that Alison is calling her roommate and staff offensive names and that Pam is constantly mediating.  Alison said her roommate tried to stab her in the leg with scissors. When I asked what happened, she said she missed and stopped. Given Alison's presence of (clear) mind and her relationship with her roommate, I don't doubt this actually happened. 

Alison has been yelling out. Alison was crying when I was encouraging her to feed herself. Her roommate yelled at her to shut up. 

We had a busy visit. Alison ate some soup and chocolate mousse. I mixed some greens + (thanks Joanie) with a blueberry smoothie. She loved that and the carrot juice I brought. She would have eaten more but was reluctant to feed herself. She was getting very upset, crying and saying "forget it". I tried to explain that feeding herself is the first baby step to getting better. She was not encouraged but did end up feeding herself. 

We Facetimed Christina and the baby. We called Philip. We watched about 15 minutes of Downton Abbey. I washed her hair. What could have been a great visit was eclipsed by Alison's discomfort/uncleanliness. Next time I go I will call ahead and see if they can change her diaper before I get there.  (That is pathetic.)

I will be unable to go this coming weekend. And Mary Pat has injured her leg and can't drive. Philip mentioned he might go Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment