Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sleeping Beauty

When I arrived, Alison had fallen asleep sitting up. Truly asleep. There was no incoherent mumbling or non sequiturs of words nor calls out for help. It turns out that she had only gotten 5 hours of sleep last evening (still wonderful). But the previous night she had slept all night! I thought about waking her to spend time with her. I tried once. Alison smiled but did not wake up. When I asked her if she wanted to say something, she mumbled “I love you.” I decided to let sleeping dogs lie. She needs good sleep. It turns out they had given her Ativan this am but I am not sure what else to help her sleep. But I found out she has prescribed Zyprexia (replaced the Seraquil), and as needed: pain meds, Ativan and Haldol. I hope they are getting the pain meds better calibrated. I still worry that she is too sedated given how far backwards she has regressed. Her cognition and communications are is very short and scrambled and she is not moving physically. We need to keep her from getting physically weak due to lack of movement. Other updates: The hospital is still treated her for c-dif but Alison has normal movements now. Alison pulled out her (unused) feed tube last night. Remember that they said it would be ok to come out in 2 months and was a simple (self performed) procedure. Alison is back on solid food but is having to be fed by the staff as she is not able to feed herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment