Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Alison's Move Back to BridgePark


Alison got moved back to BridgePark last night so I went to see her today to get her resettled. She is now in room 311 and has the more spacious and sunny window bed. She was awake and cognizant when I arrived. And immediate asked for my “Help”. When I asked her to tell me what she needed, she imediately was able to tell me what and responded with “Heel”. Turns out she had lain on her back in bed so long without foam heel pads that her heel hurt from pressure on the airbed. So I put a pillow under her legs and massaged her heels. Tada, no more “Help”!

I did spend time today massaging and moving Alison’s limbs as they have stiffened from lack of movement during her 2-3 week stay at U of MD without rehab. As I was doing it, she would say “Ouch”. I would ask if it was #1 (right hand) or #2 (left hand) that caused the pain and she would tell me which. I would aask if it was big or little pain and she’d say little. I did share with her that she was becoming like the Princess and the Pea, feeling everything! When I also shared that Kim (my twin sitter, a physical massage therapist) would do it sooo much better than me, Alison said that I should not be “Self Deprecating”. I then commended her on her great choice of words, and she in turn said “It runs in the family”. So overall, we had a good time working with each other and playing.

Alison did beg for me to take her home with me. I explained that she still needs 7x24 hour care that I cannot do. I explained that she can and will grow stronger. She should set a goal to be able to move around with a walker or wheel chair. When asked, she said she understood. At one point later, she then said she wished she would be able to go home with Aaron and Amy.

Of course, when I asked the rehab unit for Alison’s belongings, they were nowhere to be found. After much searching, we found some of them under piles of clothes in the closets of her old room. In her new room's closet there are many T shirts, 3 long sleeved warm shirts, 3 pretty shirts, 2 leggings, one short, and 2 pairs of shoes. Some are dirty so I have asked nursing to get her dirty laundry washed so she can wear those clothes. We also found her photos, Raven hat and xmas decorations. No bras or socks. What else are we missing? Bring old sports bras if you have them IF they hook in the front or back. And socks. And thumb tacks….

Alison is yearning to eat! I asked for Speech Therapy to see her today to re-evaluate whether Alison is ok to eat honey thick food and drink. They have to do it each time she comes back to the unit. Until they do that, she can only use the stomach peg. I put a bag of Alison treats in the fridge for her – coffee Greek yogurt with chocolate, aluette creamed cheese and chocolate syrup to make drinks tasty. She asked for creamed butternut squash soup and liver too (she knows me too well)!

No comments:

Post a Comment