Thursday, February 27, 2014

Tuesday and Thursday End of Feb

I got a call from Mary Pat that she had seen Alison on Tuesday. She said that Alison was alert and very together. Alison asked to eat the rest of the lobster bisque and the Aluete cheese spread I had left at my last visit. She and Mary Pat talked about Stella and cried appropriately. Mary Pat was very happy to find Alison in such stable and good shape.

Today I visited Alison. On the drive up, I talked to nursing and they said that Alison had slept through the night. As well they started using a Jerry chair with Alison yesterday. This is good news as it will get Alison sitting up again. But Alsion is not strong enough to sit upright in a normal chair plus faces the risk of throwing herself out of it, so they have started back with the Jerry chair. And they have to use a sling to move her to and from the bed - no more pivoting off the bed.

While I was with her, Alison got visits from both PT and speech. They have her moving her right leg and arm, although it is only modest movement. And they are asking her to move her left limbs as well. There are signs that Alison will be able to regain some left side movement. Speech therapy watched me give Alison more lobster bisque and herb cream cheese. They said to remind Alison with each bite to swallow strongly and to remind her twice with each bite to make sure nothing is left in her throat. Alison said the floor staff is not feeding her any food because "she did not earn it". I have asked speech therapy to follow-up to make sure that withholding Alison’s “pleasure food” is not being used as a punishment for Alison. Alison still gets peg tube feeding. As well, this is the third time I have requested a real shampoo for Alison!! It will require work on their part to get her into a real shower. Maybe now she is again using a wheel chair?

While Alison was very cognizant and able to participate in a dialogue with me, she has returned to saying "I want to die". She does this when she is asked to do something for herself like wipe her own mouth or exercise her own limbs. Perhaps it is due to the realization of how far she has to go? Not wanting to do the work? I just remind her that a) she needs to work on her own recovery, b) it will take work and c) she can get better.

As always, please come visit Alison. I am finding the best time is after 1130. I call ahead to make sure they have gotten her up. Alison also asked if somebody would contact Phillip and ask him to come for a visit. If you want to feed Alison, I have left more food in the 4th floor refrigerator with her name on it (the staff can get it for you). There are cups, spoons, salt and pepper in the top right-hand drawer of her dressers. Remember, she can NOT drink plain fluids; they need to be thickened with a powder which is at the nursing station - honey (glop glop) vs nectar (drip drip) consistency please.

No comments:

Post a Comment