Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Need More Visitors

Today was my first visit to Alison's new place. It is old and dingy and cramped. Her roommate was outside the door cussing out the nurse for something. Alison's bed is pushed into the corner of a room. She has no tv, no view. Just the curtain that divides the room from her roommates side. When I walked in, Alison was staring at a blank wall. She was happy to see me. She says she is in a lot of pain. The nurse said she was complaining of that all day and that she wasn't due for the next dose of pain meds for another hour. She said that Dawn was there earlier and helped turn Alison and that they had been repositioning her all day. They were contemplating putting Alison in her wheelchair but said she hates it. I lifted her legs up one at a time..in bicycle pose and then straight up at an angle.  We did this several times and held the poses for probably a minute each time. She said that helped her back a lot.  

She has a half dollar size sore on her left leg by the knee. 

We talked about her weight loss and lack of eating. She is bored and disgusted by what they give her. She wants to leave but does not want to go back to "the meanies" at South River.  I told her Philip wants her near him and she could not suppress her joy and smile..although she was really trying to for some reason.  She said Dawn had been there and that she needs more visitors. She asked me what took me so long to visit. 

She was completely (seriously 100%) coherent today. There was no crazy talk, no delusion, no searching for the right words, no yelling. We had several normal conversations. She was very subdued and I think that can be attributed to the pain and she seemed sad. 

My only concern with the facility (from what I saw today) is it's lack of modern equipment. Alison was thirsty and so I got the nurse (or aide) to bring her a drink. She could not get the bed to crank up for Alison to be in an upright position. So she tried lifting her neck with one hand while holding the thickened cranberry in the other. I pulled her up gently by the arms.  Alison took one sip and could not endure the pain of being held up. It was pretty ridiculous and I know Alison was still thirsty. 

Overall good visit. I was really impressed by Alison's demeanor and with-it-ness:)


No comments:

Post a Comment