Wednesday, January 29, 2014

U of MD Hospital Update

Alison is currently in UofMD Hospital, the Weinberg building, in the Medical ICU seventh floor, room 710. Before you go, you can call the floor 410-328-6196 to find out if she is still in room 710 and if she is awake. Or call the main hospital 410-328-8667.

Alison is once again all hooked up to monitoring devices, oxygen and leg compression (to avoid clots). They had also shaved her shunt area in order to do an EKG. They have not found anything wrong and the antibiotics and IV are supposedly working as her temperature has dropped. But she was sleeping again when I arrived as she had been calling out all night.

As I was dictating this, Alison opened one eye and looked at me but did not try to speak or show that she recognized me. After a bit, I ask “Hellooooo, how are you?” and then when I saw a faint smile from her, “Is that a smile I am seeing? Am I being funny?” She responded, “I am funny”. I thought it might be aphasia or her perseverating (repeating what I had said). Then, when I told Alison who had been to see her over the last couple of days (Mary Pat and Phil), she turned to me and said "and you know who came to visit me today? Andy Riedy!" She STILL has a sense of humor when she can get her brain connected! Most of the rest of the visit though, she kept asking for help but could not recall a noun to tell me what she needed help with.

I got the nursing staff to swab out Alison’s mouth which was gooped up with phlegm etc. The Doctor and residents came by doing rounds but never stepped into the room or talked with me. The Physician Assistant came and gave me a briefing – thanks Reenie for adding me to Alison’s list. Alison's temperature is returning to normal.

Per the PA, they need to have speech therapy formally confirm Alison’s swallowing difficulties in order for the surgical team to get approved to give Alison a stomach peg. While I was there, Alison later had a visit from the Gastro team. I explained that Alison had 2 bariums that showed silent aspiration, that she had been eating solid foods several months ago but now was limited to honey-thick foods, and that it may not be necessary to do a calorie count as Alison was not able to eat (or drink) enough to keep herself healthy. In addition to speech therapy’s signoff, Allison has to be clear of a fever for at least 48 hours before they can do the stomach peg procedure.

Given the 2 day delay, I asked Gastro (and nursing and the PA) to speed up the speech therapy evaluation to see if Alison can be restarted on food to help with her nutrition NOW. Alison heard this discussion and on queue asked for “Food”.

Alison may be moved today or tomorrow to a normal room. As well, they are restarting all her meds (including blood pressure etc.) Once in a normal room, PT and others would need to sign off that Alison is no longer at risk and that it is appropriate for her to be returned to the rehab facility (post the stomach peg?).

Finally, once back in rehab, can we get Alison’s hair washed?? The EKG goop, on top of the poor shampooing at the rehab unit, mean that Alison has really bad bed head…

No comments:

Post a Comment