Friday, August 23, 2013

Our First Visit

Soren, Anton, and I (Amy) visited Alison today at South River.  She lit up when we walked in.  I told her I had a black eye.  She said, "I noticed!" and laughed.  She was happy to see the boys.  Anton sat at the end of her bed and ate his lunch.  I asked her how she was..mentally..she clammed up and looked out the window.  She kept saying "owww".  At one point she said it really loud and scared Anton.  She noticed and told him she was sorry.  I massaged her neck and she thanked me.  She is in there and aware and able to communicate on some level, however, the nurses and staff are seeing something completely different.

I introduced myself to the nurse, Tonya, who at that moment was sorting through all of Alison's paperwork and medications.  She told me Alison was just transferred to that wing and they are still trying to familiarize themselves with her and her case.  I let them know that she had motioned that her neck was in pain.  They did not say what they would do for that but that she had been "crying out".  Tonya told me to bring in some clothes for her because they want to start getting her up and moving.  As we were leaving, the physical therapist entered.  Her name is Jennifer.  She is there Monday through Friday.  She showed me some ways to help Alison with movement while I am visiting...basically things that would feel good if one was lying in bed all/most of the time.  Jennifer has been doing "coma stim" on her.  I'm not sure of the exact details on that but she did say it was more intense (meaning painful).  She said the therapy was somewhat limited because Alison is not responsive.  I asked to speak with Jennifer outside.  I told her the details of our visit and she was shocked.  She right away said that she would order a psych evaluation.  I said that Alison is most likely aware of what has happened to her and that she is probably mad and sad.  Jennifer responded "Ooohhh..she's gonna get it now!!" (meaning intense therapy now that she knows she's playing possum).  She encouraged me to bring Stella as much as possible to incorporate into the PT.

Also,  Alison looks clean.  Her mouth is cleaned out...not caked in yellow gunk and her lips look moisturized.  Her hair is a little greasy though.  I told her I brought her clippers to chop her hair and she laughed.  We might do that soon..

I am so far really impressed with South River.  They are open and kind and proactive it seems.  I will try to get there this weekend with clothes and a notebook but will definitely be there Monday for lunch with Stella.

I left copies of Catcher in the Rye and Black Beauty if anyone wants to read to her.  Just mark the spot where you leave off.  I will leave a notebook for any observations anyone wants to leave and transcribe them to this blog for everyone to see or everyone is encouraged to post here.  This will be my main platform for information so check back daily for updates.  I don't mind texts and phone calls at all but I can't commit to calling people every day.

Mary Pat was there yesterday.  I think she may have been in a different room.  Alison is now in Room 125B.  Window view.  She might need a bird feeder outside her window if anyone has one:)

I will talk to Jackie in Financial when she in in on Tuesday about the Medical Assistance application.

2 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea to start this blog!!!! Thank you Amy. :)

    I'm so glad to hear that she recognized you and is more communicative. Not so glad that she is having a tough time, but that probably means she can hopefully progress greatly in the long run.

    And I love that they want to incorporate Stella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so for setting up this communications and sharing so much in the first post. For others, South River Health and Rehab is at 144 Washington Rd Edgewater, MD, 410) 956-5000.

    Great idea re notebook and reading materials. I would love to hear what massage and movement is most beneficial. What is Alison's favorite music and we can play tunes for her too?

    Andy Riedy ariedy@cox.net c 703.201.6676

    ReplyDelete