Thursday, August 29, 2013

Use Your Words

Today was a different kind of visit for me today.  We could hear Alison yelling as we passed the nurses station.  She was out of control today.  I was very stern with her.  I told her she if she had something to say, then say it don't scream it because I have a massive headache and I can't take the screaming.  She said SHE had a massive headache.  She continued to scream a lot but every time I would correct her.  Part of me was wondering if I was being cruel..telling her to control herself.  What if she can't?  But the way she responds to me tells me she can to a certain extent.  She yells "shut up" constantly.  I told her she is not allowed to say that..if she has something to say then she needs to dig deep and find the right word(s).  And she would stop and it looked like she was thinking..hard.  I would ask her who she was saying shut up to?  No answer.  I really encouraged her to respond appropriately to the questions being asked.  When I say who, you answer with a person's name...not yell "owww".  She seemed to get it.  I didn't let up the whole time I was there.  Sometimes I would put my hands on her cheeks and get in her face and tell her to relax.  This seemed pretty effective in getting her calm and refocused.

We played a word/name association game.  I'd say a name and she tells me first word that comes to her head.  She couldn't think of any words so then I would tell her mine and she responded to that.  Here are the two that got a reaction.

Lauri: "sad" (my word) and I told Alison Lauri's step mom just died from lung cancer.  This got a huge reaction.  Alison pulled her hand and sheet up to her face.  Her eyes welled up a little and her face contorted.  I thought she might cry (she has not cried at all btw..).  She started to yell and then suddenly regained her composure and calmly and clearly said "She died from lung cancer."

Wayne: "dickhead" (my word).  She arched her back and started grunting.  She said "my word for dickhead" and I could see in her expression that she knew she said it wrong but couldn't get the right words out.  I'm assuming she was trying to say "That's my word for Wayne".

She says "Shiite Muslim" over and over.  I think it might be her new sh word since I banned shut up.  But at least she doesn't yell it.

I told her that she was on Prozac and hopefully that would help her.  She screamed about that.

I listed a bunch of words she could use to describe how she is feeling.  She said "Pain.  I'm in pain."  I told her that was a start and now she needs to say what hurts..your head, your shoulder, your psyche, your soul?  She couldn't answer.


The skin on her feet is cracking.  I rubbed lotion on them.  I massaged her legs.  She seemed to like that.  She said it hurt when I lifted her right leg by cupping behind her knee.  I laid her completely flat and tried to get my arms under her back.  I could only get as far as her shoulders but she seemed to really like that..who wouldn't??

I also let her pick out some new clothes.  I told her we were going shopping and made it clear that she needed to respond with yes or no.  She repeated "shopping" several times.  She said yes to maybe 2 items and no to about 4 (out of 8 things).

She is scheduled to get a hair cut on Tuesday.  She needs her nails cut.  I'm not the girl for that but I will if I have to..

They are taking great care of Alison there.  It is a small staff but they are always working hard and are very kind.  They did get her an air mattress in the very first days she was there.  I have been meaning to mention that.

We also listened to three Mumford and Sons songs.

Lauri is going to visit tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment