Wednesday, October 9, 2013

?????

I had a a short visit with Alison today. She is so happy in her new environment. She has been moved up to the 5th floor Room 536.  A volunteer came by and asked her if she would like a magazine to read. She is definitely being spoiled but apparently the staff have been explaining to her that she will go back to a nursing home soon.  And I think they were pretty honest with her about the realities of a nursing home.  She said she had a good talk with the Irish nurse and although Alison could not recall what she said, she did know that is was good advice and she offered a different perspective about her situation.  Whatever it was, it was comforting to her.

Alison also told me a crazy story about an incident that happened at the hospital the night before.  The man in the room next to her was freaking out, yelling "stop injecting me".  He was screaming so loud and breaking glass.  Alison started screaming for help but no one could hear her because she was behind a window.  But she could see all the staff run past her room with their mouths agape in shock.  The doctors were talking about this man, using his full name.  Alison couldn't believe they were violating HIPPA like that.  It turns out the man jumped out of the sixth floor window.  Alison thinks he must have died.  I was kind of confused because the ER is on the first floor and Alison is on the 5th but I believed her.  She said they checked to make sure there was no broken glass in her room.  So much detail!!!  I'm leaving a lot out I'm sure.

We were talking about how crazy and unbelievable that was and she kept telling me to Google it.  Well,  I did and this did actually happen...in August of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don't know where she got this story.  Maybe someone was talking about it while she was asleep and she incorporated it into her dream, maybe she talks to dead people.  I don't know.  But I do think it is important to note that she thinks she really witnessed this.  Her mind is playing serious tricks on her, making it even harder for us to discern what is real and what is not.  And how do we respond and help her through these things that she thinks she is experiencing?

Alison also told me that they were going to have an occupational therapist come in to assess her swallow ability.  She is dying to eat and drink.  She talks about it a lot now.  I'm not sure if this is true or not.  I do know that they are trying to find a new home for her but her needs, past behavior, and insurance issues will make placement more challenging.

She was so cheery and content.  I love days like this!

Andy visits tomorrow (Thursday) and I'm sure I will stop in at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment