Thursday, October 24, 2013

More Progress

Confusion continues…  When I got there today Alison was crying.  It turns out she thinks she can walk and did not like that she was told she was not permitted to go outside.  I showed the staff how talking slowly and quietly calms Alison so she regains reality.  I then gave her a bite of the favorite bacon chocolate bar she had mentioned last visit.  I will dole out pieces each visit, not all at once.

I had arranged to have PT come when I was visiting Alison today.  They did have her “stand” again, this time 4 times.  The PT staff was heavily supporting her against the frame of the bed though.  After PT, Alison cried and said she was not “successful”.  I said no, she was SUCCESSFUL and that it takes baby steps.  She first has to rebuild her leg and core muscles so she can hold up her weight and then they will teach her to walk.

Other good news.  It looks like Alison slept through the night last night, without crying out all night. Maybe the new meds they are trying are helping her anxiety.  Hope it is more than a one day occurrence for her and the staff!

At one point, while Alison was sleeping a bit, I remembered that many of you do not know that the progress includes things we don't miss!  She is no longer screaming “OW” non-stop or using swear or derogatory words, the itching that drove her crazy is gone, and she has cut way back on calling “Help Me” over and over.

I have asked the nurse to write up that Alison has recurring pain in her left shoulder since she fell out of bed at South River (under her arm, close to where the bottom of the shoulder blade and ribs meet).  Today, perhaps because of the strain of the PT, Alison’s shoulder began to hurt a lot.  I also noticed that Alison has stopped using her left arm, perhaps because of the pain.  I hope the doctors investigate what is wrong as the CT (x-ray) taken when Alison first got to the hospital showed nothing.

I will head back again Saturday.  Does anyone want to do a phone or Facetime call with Alison?  Text my cell if you do (703) 201-6676.

No comments:

Post a Comment