Monday, December 30, 2013

An Improvement

Yesterday, Alison was asleep. I didn't stay. 

This evening she was lying in the dark but was wide awake and beckoning me through the window to come in.  The first thing she asked was if she could come live with me. I tried to explain that I couldn't care for her. She said they don't care for her at the hospital. She was very talkative. I would say I could understand about 75% of what she was saying. She was equable and very matter of fact..and neither happy nor sad. 

She was plotting to get out of her bed. She wants to roll out. "You can help me". She is all about getting out of there. She does not have any strong opinions about the staff.

She was complaining of thirst just as the nurse arrived with dinner.  I fed her but she did not eat that much. No more than ten bites. The nurse told me Alison is not to use a straw for drinking as she could choke.  

The nurse also told me every visitor is to check in with a nurse before entering Alison's room.  There is a sign on the door that I never heeded and they never enforced..until tonight.  There is also a sign saying to put on gown and gloves before entering. They had told Reenie that it wasn't necessary but made Philip and Kathie wear it just the other night. I wear it because I'm a little paranoid.  So I'm not sure what is really the proper protocol.  I'll just do whatever the signs say from now on so I don't get scolded and/or infected:)

But back to Alison...

I found her stress ball that was wrapped up in her sheets when she was transported to the hospital from South River. She wanted it and was squeezing it. And then she said (totally deadpan) "Remember when the nurse found this in my bed and asked if it was mine? That was hilarious."  I thought that was so great that she remembered that and that she was able to say it so clearly. 

Andy, Alison's nails are calling you!!! :)

Best visit in a really long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment