Friday, December 6, 2013

No Change

“I walked. I really did.” Such is Alison’s current reality. During yesterday’s visit, Alison was in and out of sleep. She mumbles words that cannot be understood and that make no sense. She did wake up when I asked her to, that I had only an hour left and really wanted to spend time with her. But I did not find the alert, funny Alison today.

Alison had eaten breakfast (with nurse assistance) but refused lunch. I gave her half a can of boost chocolate pudding. I will bring tasty soft food when I can. Plus I brought up butter pats from the cafeteria for the nurses to add to her dinner potatoes.

I heard that Alison’s arm veins are bad and cannot take an IV. There is another type of arm IV that they cannot do as she may pull it out. But Alison is getting enough fluids. Her weight today is 161. She has only lost 4 pounds in the last 10 days of limited eating.

The nurses decided to not give Alison Depakote last night or this morning, to keep her from getting too sedated and not eat. The Zyprexa dosage has been reduced a bit (10 to 7.5).

As closing, here are examples of her current confusion: “My bread hurts”. Closest we could figure out was it was her bottom, after playing show and tell. She also keeps wanting to go back to her old room. Not sure where that room is.

Please take the time to visit Alison. The objective is to take care of her, not to converse with her – massage and food. After massaging and stretching her left arm, she can do very slight movement of it.

1 comment:

  1. I leave tomorrow on our road trip home so should be there from December 14-January 1 or so. Will visit her all I can while I'm there. :)

    ReplyDelete