Sunday, December 1, 2013

More Sleeping

Alison is sleeping beauty again this morning. It turns out that she tends to be more awake in the evenings. Then they give her her evening Meds. They don't do it in the mornings because she is too sleepy.

They are trying to feed Alison thick foods. But when she is too sleepy, they do not feed her. In the evening, she gets about 10 bites in and then gets upset with the hospital food. In her sleepy state, she just heard me dicating this to Siri and said "it sucks". I was told by a PA that they have decided not to move forward on any feeding assistant devices or treatments until Reenie gets guardianship. HELP!

I also heard that they were titrating back some of Alison's medications to try and control the situation. But this needs to be confirmed. During Amy's visits this weekend and mine today Alison still appears confused and sedated.

Allison is back to using the words Oww and Help. But she is again unable to vocalize what is in pain because she is too asleep. Her eyelids were closed the whole time. When I asked for her to open them, she did for a blink and then shut them again. It feels like we are back to the confused stay she was in when she was first a South River.

Today I massaged her left hand which is very swollen with edema from lack of movement. And I raised it up on a pillow to reduce the swelling. For the first time, they have her calfs in pressure cuffs to assist with any edema there.

While it is depressing, Alison repeats words that I am saying as I dictate this note to Siri. So she says things like Edema and mashed potatoes, just after I have said them. It feels like she has an immediate cognitive loop. So before I leave, I am repeating to her the words love, love, love. I hope that word sticks in her brain for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment