Friday, December 20, 2013

Update From Reenie

From Wednesday, Dec. 18

Alison was the most alert today that she's been this week since I've been here. I saw the doctor this morning and he said that he will start cutting back the Depakote as well as the Zyprexa that has already been reduced (and will continue to be reduced still further). He will also reduce the Wellbutrin (anti-depressant).

Christina, her mother, and baby Deklan (sp?) visited this morning.
Christina is here until Dec. 30 and hopes to visit every few days while she is here. It was a good visit but Alison often struggled to find the right words for what she wanted to say. She knew the words weren't right (although often they were close). Sometimes we could guess what she wanted to say, other times not.

By later in the day, Alison's communication was much clearer. She talked with the nurse about our family's role with the Littman stethoscope and her language was clear and coherent. We talked about a number of things and her words were coming much easier to her. She raised topics herself (like what time did I need to leave for the airport on Thursday).

By the way, she wasn't mumbling at all. Even when she couldn't find the right words, she was speaking clearly, even though not always understandable. I often felt like we were playing charades--I was trying to figure out what the word was, whether it sounded like what she was saying.

Sometimes the word is probably close in meaning, but still hard to figure out. Last night she kept asking for a "curtain". Finally, I saw what she was pointing at--the paper towel dispenser with a paper towel hanging down. It did resemble a curtain. She wanted the paper towel to wipe her mouth. (When I go in tomorrow, I will ask her to identify the paper towel and see if she now uses the right word.)

Oh, and I did get legal guardianship today. And I visited the bank to get the financial stuff rolling, and talked with accountants at Communicare (South River is part of that network of facilities). They are handling her application for long-term medical assistance.

There are signs in Alison's room now saying No Intubation, and No Chest Compressions. This is what we put into place last week. If you have questions, please let me know.

Finally, I am going to see if i can get a complete history of her medications while at Anne Arundel. They wouldn't even talk to me before I had the legal guardianship. Maybe now I can get somewhere.

please feel free to put relevant stuff on the Blog (not sensitive details)

Alison does have visitors from time to time. I think it would be good to have them email or text Andy at ariedy@cox.net (or in Mary Pat's case, call you) or whatever to let you know about the visit, so their visits can be included on the blog. Even if they only provide a sentence or two about their visit with Alison, this would be good information to have. It will help make a more complete running record.

And more frequent videos will be helpful. Just so we have a record, More soon, Love, Reenie

No comments:

Post a Comment