Thursday, September 26, 2013

A New Attitude

I bought Alison a few more clothing items.  Comfort was the most important consideration of course but I thought it was time to start jazzing it up a little.  (I even bought her a dress!!!!!) So I told Alison that she had to put the wallowing in pity behind, it's her birthday and the beginning of a new era..it's time for her to embrace the woman she WANTS to be.  I asked her what that would look like.  I reminded her of how full of life she was this time last year.  Philip took her to New York for her birthday.  She was on top of the world.  I asked her what she wants her style to be.  She said she didn't care about that kind of stuff but I pressed her.  She said "bohemian".  That's exactly what I was thinking!!!!

She really wanted to talk to Philip and we did end up talking with him briefly.  That made her day.  She was hopeful he would be able to visit today.

At some point she said, "I really need to get on board with what they are trying to do for me here.  I need to be able to use the phone and computer.  I need to get my hands stronger so I can type and text and email people.  It's 11 and then it's 2 in the morning and I feel so isolated."  (She really said all that!! with perfect ease!!)  I told her that the more she works at the physical stuff, the better it is for brain.  I'm not sure if I'm making that up or if I read that somewhere, but she believed me and she is motivated..at least for today.

Good day!  She said she'd wear the dress on her birthday!!! :)

P.S.  PT did tell me that Alison being upright IS better for her cognizance.

1 comment: