Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Wiped Out

I just read Andy's post..that might explain why Alison was a total bump on a log today.  She barely said anything and seemed to drift in and out of sleep.  They may have started her on Percocet also.  She was crying out in pain a lot too and had a frightening/disturbed look in her eyes.  She was able to say no when I asked her if she was mad and sad.  Other than that, she really didn't respond and barely looked at me.  I closed her door and turned off the TV and played the Urban Meditation station on Pandora.  She didn't react but I certainly enjoyed the peace!!!!  It gets so loud in there sometimes and I cannot imagine how all that noise affects Alison.  Yesterday, she could hear the sound of Aaron scratching his beard and told him to "Stop doing that!"

Her nurse Lola is so sweet to Alison and they have a good bond.  Alison is also fond of the two attendants, Sonya and Simone.  They are so cute with her.  They popped in so cheerily today and were competing for Alison's response.  When Simone couldn't get a reaction from her,  Lola squeezed herself between the wall and the bed.  "She ALWAYS talks to me..watch", she gloated.  Lola said "Alison knows the three of us."  And Lola did indeed get the best reaction:)

Yesterday was a great visit in terms of Alison's clarity, mood, and verbalization.  The best so far for me since she has been there.  She was so alert and animated and charming and funny.  I still love hanging out with her.  She usually still shines through.  She had a great time with Aaron.  They fell right back into their old sarcastic, jocular way..making references to things about which I am clueless.  I was so glad that he got to see her on such a good day.  She was astonishing herself with the big words she was using.  "Wow!!!  Where did that come from?" as she beamed in pride and/or amazement.  Redundant and overture were her two favorites.  She was speaking so intelligently and clearly.

I was surprised to hear Aaron's commentary when we left.  He said that it was horrible to see her that way and it was like she was trapped in a bad acid trip.  Interesting perspective from someone who doesn't see her that often.

So yesterday was the best I've seen her since July 28, today was the worst since she has been there.  I guess that's just how this goes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad she had such a wonderful day yesterday. It really sounds like she is improving immensely. Maybe not in leaps and bounds, but in concrete measurable steps and really in a rather short time. I can't wait to see her! (And will let you know when I have it nailed down. :))

    ReplyDelete