Friday, September 13, 2013

A "Present" Alison

Andy Riedy 9/13

Today was a "red letter day" visit, meaning great! I saw Alison when she was just waking up.  We had great conversations both about where she is now and about the history of our family. She raised new topics to discuss!  She also showed that she is able to do controlled movement when asked of both her right and left side arms and legs. She even tried to sit up in bed.  Instead of just saying OW, she was able to tell me where the pain was. She seems positive about her progress and understands that she is moving towards recovery. I don't think that I am misinterpreting the situation. I think this is real, as of today. I know the days are up and down.


I did try and test some memory. When she sees me, she immediately knows who I am. She remembers our grandmother and trips to Europe (but not the number of dogs and cats she currently owns). Nor does she remember my previous visits. When I was out of the room, a nurse asked her who the lady was who was visiting. Alison could not tell her my name nor whether I was a friend or family. She was only on Tylenol at the time, not Percocet.

As an idea for visitors, it seems she likes the Patriots. How about coming for a visit and watching a Patriots game with her?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment