Friday, September 6, 2013

Time For More Visitors


 
by Andrea Riedy 9/5 visit

When I arrived to visit Alison, she was in her fab chair by the nursing station. I heard (and recognized) her voice as I came down the hall as she repeatedly said OW loudly. But when she saw me, she gave a HUGE smile and said she was so glad to see me – in a complete sentence with great enunciation! That is the way the visit went. There were real moments of clarity and communication followed by sudden shouts of OW followed by inappropriate words. When reminded, she knows to not say the bad words.

During the visit I updated her on my family. She commented on everyone and was involved. When asked about my Mom and Dad, she said she wanted to see them BUT not that much (I think it is more about their personalities than Alison’s situation, haha). She also did not feel like facetiming with her sibs this time.

I reminded her of the tremendous progress she was making and that I and friends would be there to help her continue to move forward. But I wonder how well her “current” memory is functioning? She did not remember my previous visits. So I shared with her each previous visit and all the wonderful things she and I had said to amuse each other.  Amy, do you have input?

Alison’s hair has been cut, I put cream on her feet (please all do this), and watched as she interacted with some of the nurses, staff and patients whom she likes. She frequently moved her right hand and leg when she adjusted her body but does not yet move them when specifically asked to move them. Her right hand continues to open and close repeatedly.

It would be GREAT if those reading the blog could make time for visits to help stimulate and encourage Alison. Also pass this on to other friends. 
 

1 comment:

  1. This is the best, most hopeful picture I've seen of her yet!! Yay to the haircut and good conversation. I am trying to plan a visit there as long as expenses allow, but Texas is a long way away. :(

    ReplyDelete