Monday, September 2, 2013

Hanging Out at the Nurses' Staion

When I arrived, Alison was in her Mercedes hanging out at the nurses' station.  They said they had just put her there.  We probably spent 45 minutes out there.  Alison was yelling a lot again but we had some good conversations.  I asked her what was up with all the old men cruisin' for chicks in their wheelchairs.  She laughed so hard and said "I can't believe you just wrote that".  One guy went by and she said "I wonder what size brain that guy came with".  We laughed a lot but had some serious conversations too.  We talked about her screaming.  She said it is a reflex and she doesn't know she does it.  I asked her what it sounds like in her head.  She said sharp.  She said she can't stop herself but that she would like me to let her know when she is doing it.  I asked her if she felt like her brain was disconnected from her body.  (I got this from a book I found in Alison's house)  She said yes.  And does it feel like they will never connect again.  She said yes, please help me.  I reassured her that this was just the beginning and to not feel hopeless and to believe because you never know what will happen.  She said she feels out of control.  Some of these things she told me herself, some were yes/no answers to direct questions.  One of the residents told me she yells out all night.

My Stroke of Insight  A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor PhD
"I now existed in a world between worlds.  I could no longer relate to people outside of me, yet my life had not been extinguished.  I was not only an oddity to those around me, but on the inside.  I was an oddity to myself."
I found this at Alison's house.  It looks fascinating.  I will leave it at Alison's once I have finished it.

Once the nurses put Alison back in bed, they put her chair in the bathroom.

I asked about the Tylenol dosage.  The nurse said it is better to be PRN because then she is not limited to one dose on any given shift.  She reassured me that they know she is in a lot of pain and are giving her Tylenol frequently.

The nurses are always asking me about Alison.  How did she get this way? How old is she? Was she a teacher? What was she like before this happened?  I find it interesting that they are so curious about her.  She seems so out of it but she is still so present and I guess they see that.  Alison and one of the nurses (Lola) tell each other "I love you".

5 comments:

  1. Comment from Reenie: Jill Bolte Taylor's book is terrific. Alison and I both read it in 2009. Jill Bolte Taylor's TED talk is excellent too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from Reenie: Jill Bolte Taylor's book is terrific. Alison and I both read it in 2009. Jill Bolte Taylor's TED talk is excellent too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS that the chair allows her greater cognitive and social time!! Thanks for finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS that the chair allows her greater cognitive and social time!! Thanks for finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like it was a good visit. At least a breakthrough one on some levels. It makes me really happy to know she's connecting with her nurses too. <3

    ReplyDelete